Getting a malocclusion treated is easier and more convenient than ever with Invisalign. Dental braces had been the go-to solution to treat teeth misalignment issues for many decades. But in recent times, a highly advanced and aesthetically pleasing aligner has replaced conventional metal braces. It is none other than the revolutionary Invisalign.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic aligner made from transparent, dental-grade plastic material that has the SmartTrack feature. Unlike braces, Invisalign doesn’t have any metal components that are used to apply pressure on the teeth. Instead, the walls of the aligner are designed in such a way that they apply pressure on the teeth in a controlled and precise manner, thus gradually moving the teeth to their ideal alignment as expected.
Why should you choose Invisalign?
- The treatment with Invisalign is more convenient and less painful. The aligners do not have any moving components, making them absolutely comfortable to use during the course of the treatment period.
- The aligners can be taken off whenever you have to eat food or brush the teeth. This feature isn’t available in the case of fixed dental braces.
- Invisalign is made from clear plastic material, allowing you to maintain a pleasing and attractive smile during the treatment.
- While using Invisalign, you can continue to eat anything and everything you wish to without having any dietary restrictions. But, when you’re using dental braces, certain foods such as hard and sticky ones like pizza, nuts, candy, etc., should be kept away to avoid damage to the braces and alter the pressure applied on the teeth.
- The plastic material used to fabricate Invisalign is biocompatible. It doesn’t harm the soft tissues of the mouth and also protects the teeth from impact forces.
- Maintaining optimum oral health during the treatment is quite easy.
How is Invisalign treatment carried out?
The dentist will screen your oral condition thoroughly and determine your candidacy for Invisalign. Oral scans will be taken using highly accurate dental equipment, after which the data extracted will be used to create a digital impression of the teeth. This data is used in the fabrication of the aligners, which are provided during each stage of treatment.
Patients will have to keep the aligners on the teeth for at least 22 hours each day. They have to be on all the time except when you clean the teeth or eat food. The aligners have to be replaced with a new set once every two weeks, which will help the teeth move further to their desired positions. Before putting on the aligners every time, it is crucial to ensure the teeth are cleaned thoroughly and all food residues are removed. Depending on the type and severity of malocclusion, the treatment will be spanned across six months to a couple of years.
Please schedule a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Gyampo, by calling us at (919) 682-4861 or reaching us through an online query, and we’ll be happy to guide you further.