Dental crowns are highly versatile oral restorations used for cosmetic and restorative procedures. They are hollow on the inside and resemble the exact aesthetics of natural teeth from the outside. Crowns are used to treat teeth that are severely damaged, weak, worn out, cracked, chipped, naturally misshapen, broken, etc. By bonding the crown to the teeth, their structural stability and functionality can be restored to the ideal condition.
Difference between Same-day crowns and Conventional crowns
If you have ever got a conventional dental crown done, you would be aware of the detailed procedure involved with it. The dentist would take an x-ray of the mouth to determine the severity of the condition. Next, a mold of the tooth would have to be created, which would require you to bite into a gooey substance. Basis the mold taken, the dentist will have the restoration fabricated from dental-grade ceramic in a laboratory, which would take a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, the dentist would place a temporary crown on your tooth to protect the prepared surface.
All of this hassle isn’t present in the case of same-day crowns. They are fabricated and bonded to the teeth on the same day of your initial visit. We will scan the teeth using highly-precise, hand-held digital scanning equipment, and the acquired data will be used to make a digital impression of the tooth. It will be input to a CEREC machine, which would mill out the crown within a few minutes. The dentist will extract it and bond it to the prepared tooth surface.
Why choose same-day crowns?
- Same-day crowns are fabricated using CEREC technology - a highly advanced means of making ceramic restorations. It is backed by state-of-the-art technology, which reduces the fabrication time significantly.
- As the name suggests, you can get a dental crown done in a single visit to our dental practice. There is no need for any significant waiting time.
- The accuracy of fit and comfort provided by the crown would be excellent.
- The crowns would offer great durability and longevity.
- They can be matched with the exact aesthetics of the natural teeth in terms of color, texture, contour, size, etc.
- Patients would not have to bite into a gooey substance to get the impression of the tooth. This process is carried out digitally using a scanning tool.
- Patients would not have to use a temporary restoration in place of the permanent crown.
Please schedule a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Gyampo, by calling us at (919) 682-4861 or reaching us through an online query, and we’ll be happy to guide you further.