If you struggle with a gummy smile that shows off too much of your gum tissue, our team here at Providence Smiles can provide you with help! Dr. Kwame Gyampo offers cosmetic gum contouring in Durham, North Carolina, to help reshape your gumline and transform your smile. Call us today at 919-682-4861 to learn more and set up an appointment with our skilled dentist.
What a Gummy Smile Is
Wondering what counts as a gummy smile? A “gummy” smile is where the teeth appear to be overly short. This can be caused by the gum tissue coming too far down over the teeth or by there being too much gum tissue. We can free your smile from excess gum tissue with gum contouring.
What Cosmetic Gum Contouring Is
Cosmetic gum contouring is also called crown lengthening or gingivectomy. Cosmetic gum contouring is the process of removing extra gum tissue from your smile to even up your gumline or take away the effect of a “gummy” smile.
Cosmetic Gum Contouring Process
Our dentist will check your smile and gums during a consultation and see if cosmetic gum contouring would be beneficial for you. Once you are ready for a cosmetic gum contouring procedure, we may use a pen to mark what the new gumline should look like and give you a better idea of the final result. We will provide you with local anesthesia if needed, and we can use our soft tissue laser to remove the extra gum tissue and reshape the gumline. Cosmetic gum contouring usually only takes about one to two hours, so it should be completed in only one appointment.
Oral Surgery Recovery
Your mouth will need some time to recover after your cosmetic gum contouring. Please do the following to recover:
- Rest. After your surgery, you should relax and avoid strenuous exercise for a day or two.
- Follow a modified diet. Avoid eating for about three hours after your gum contouring. Once you can eat again, eat only soft foods like applesauce, pudding, smoothies and yogurt for a couple of days.
- Take your antibiotics. Make sure to take any medications prescribed to you by our dentist.
- Use pain relievers and ice packs to relieve discomfort. Use non-aspirin pain relievers, such as TYLENOL® and ibuprofen, as necessary. Ice packs can help reduce any swelling you may experience.
- Keep up with your dental hygiene. Brush your teeth lightly the night after your surgery, and return to flossing the next day.
- Follow any post-op instructions our dentist and team provide. Our dentist and team will provide you with additional post-op instructions, and they will be happy to answer any questions you may have. If you experience any complications, please let us know.
Benefits of Cosmetic Gum Contouring
Cosmetic gum contouring has a variety of benefits, including the following:
- It enhances the appearance of your smile.
- It makes your gumline look more even and symmetrical.
- It typically only needs to be done once.
Also, since we have soft tissue lasers available, the treatment can be done faster and with minimal bleeding, allowing you to have a more comfortable treatment. Having oral surgery done with a soft tissue laser also allows you a quicker recovery time.
With cosmetic gum contouring, you do not need to go through life with a gummy smile or uneven gums. We look forward to helping you show off an improved smile and gumline! If you have any questions about what cosmetic gum contouring can do for your smile, we invite you to call us today! We can schedule you a visit with our dentist and are available to answer questions.
|Tuesday||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Thursday||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Friday||8:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m.*|
|Saturday||8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.†|
*Second and Fourth Friday | †First Saturday